Thursday, January 31, 2008

From the Library...

I have, due to some light prodding by a lawyer over the last few years, started the journey through Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I finished book one about two weeks ago, and I'll say this: I am going to need some more prodding to continue the story. Now I'm just a nit-wit amateur bibliophile, but I am going to say that the first book, The Gunslinger, fell flat on its fat ass.


That said, I feel that it is incumbent upon me to treat the first book as nothing more than a shoddy prologue, and at least see where this thing goes in the second installment. At this point, there is no recommendation, nor is there a warning regarding this book. I simply believe that I have not gone far enough to dole too much praise or criticism today.

I will return with a future post regarding the next book in the series.

Also on the docket: Confessions of an Economic Hitman, by John Perkins.

5 comments:

Benjamin said...

I'm correct in thinking that you just took the advice of Cicero, right?

CP said...

Well, this is just frustrating. I know I have told you time and time again during my incessant prodding (sorry, that sounds a bit homosexual), that you are not to make any judgments until you are at least three books into the series. I can't even explain how drastically the story changes from Book I to Book III.

You of all people should know that epic storytelling requires an author to lay some groundwork, which is often boring, tedious, and uneventful material. Good Lord man. . . what has happened to you? The old Ab used to know these things, but apparently now I have to hold your hand and walk you down the avenues of common sense and good taste. I mean seriously.

So, my advice to you is to give it a chance. Everyone that I have recommended the series to has thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe you won't, but have a little more faith in me. I mean come on . . . I am a lawyer.

Colabella said...

CP, read the post again, and see if you have overreacted just a touch. My review was rather neutral with an admittance that it was too early to judge the series. Fuck me, I hope you don't jump to conclusions like this in court. I mean, shit, I didn't shoot anyone in the face man!

CP said...

I'll shoot you in the face.

Colabella said...

nice