Friday, January 11, 2008

Single Malt Archives


The Juice: Bowmore 12 year old

Bowmore can be found on the Loch Indaal side of the Isle of Islay (eye-la). Established in 1779, Bowmore is one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland, and the oldest in Islay. They have adhered to the old traditions of producing their own floor malted barley, turning it laboriously with a large wooden shovel.

The Notes:

Color: light amber
Nose: honey, putty, subtle lemon
Palate: peat, malt, slightly oily
Finish: long smoke, hints of citrus

The Verdict: 6.5/10

This one is deceptively light in the nose for an Islay, but the palate is pleasant and a bit of a monster. It is one of the lesser Islay Malts in my opinion, which probably makes it a decent one for beginners. Bowmore will most likely play a very small roll in the rotation henceforth. I wouldn't mind having a bottle on hand, but I probably will not be going out of my way to get it.

2 comments:

Deuce said...

Scotch, huh? Ok. I can handle that. Although it will taint my fond memories I have with you. Think Gentlemen Jack, circa 2002. The perfect mix, the perfect buzz. You make me feel so.......unsophisticated. Ass.

Colabella said...

These inferences that you have not enjoyed one or 97,402 scotch nights is rather troubling. Either I am going senile or you are a fraud. I recollect some interesting evenings with you and a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 year old. And don't worry... Gentleman John Daniels is still on the wet bar.